Love

Friday, May 15, 2009

Taylee Keremoana Tolman






Our little bundle of joy came May 8th at 3:01 pm weighing a whopping 5 lbs 14 oz and 17 in long!
Here's the story:
My water broke at about 11pm on the 7th. We headed to the hospital (american fork - BEST STAFF EVER) and after a simple test they admitted me. Then the fun began! I started having contractions and was really glad to have Matson by my side. As many of you know, I was trying to go natural (no epidural). My midwife came at around 3:oo am. Everything was progressing really well. At about 7am I was 6 cm. We were on our way! ...or so we thought.... A few hours later I was at an 8. Three hours later - still at an 8. So we decided to give me a little Pitocin, which I wanted to stay clear from but was necessary. They gave me a 2 to start out with and STILL nothing! So a 4 of Pitocin - talk about PAIN!!! After 6 hours at an 8 - we had to do SOMETHING. My midwife explained that because they gave me the max of pitocin (without an epidural) and I wasn't dilating that I could stay at an 8 for who knows how many more hours and by the time baby came my body wouldn't have the energy to push. She wanted me to get an epidural. I refused. I had worked so hard and prepared myself to do it natural. Matson then went on her side. :) I still refused. Before I knew it there was a room full of people explaining to me that it might be the only option in order for me to dilate. So - I caved. I got an epidural. The difference was night and day. They gave me more pitocin but I still wasn't progressing. They were monitoring babys heart rate and when I had a contraction, her heart rate dropped to about 60. My heart rate was rising. They immediately gave me drugs to stop my contractions. The midwife looked at me and said "if her heart rate doesn't go up, we'll have to do a c section". I died! The only thing I didn't want more than an epidural was a c section. My eyes were fixed on the monitor, watching her heart rate and praying harder than I ever have that she'd be okay. Her heart rate returned to normal when I wasn't contracting. They brought in the surgeon. I told him that I REALLY didn't want a c section and that I was a great pusher! :) He said ok - lets see what you got! I pushed a couple if times with everything I had but when I pushed her heart rate dropped again. There was no way I was going to have this baby vaginally. In a split second - tons of people running around, throwing scrubs at Matson and giving orders. They ran me down the hall to the OR. Preping took forever. Then Matson came in. He stood by my head and got to watch the whole thing. They even let him take pictures. With some pressure - baby was out! I heard the surgeon say that the cord was wrapped around her neck 3 times. My heart dropped. She barely made a noise. Her lungs had collapsed. They showed me her for about 3 seconds then swept her away along with Matson. And 4 hours later I FINALLY got to hold my baby girl. They had IV's and tubes all over her. Scary - but she was fine. It was the CRAZIEST experience of my life to say the least. And at the end of the day I'm so grateful that she's out and beautiful and healthy. I couldn't ask for anything more. I also believe that the epidural was heaven sent! The c section would have been a much longer process if I hadn't gotten it.
Matson was a TROOPER! He did fantastic! He was always there calm, cool and collected. I couldn't have asked for a better coach and supporter. The anesthesiologist raved about how well Matson did. He said he'd obviously seen a lot hard situations like that and that Matson handled it like a pro! (which he did) Matson says that he'll never let me try to go natural again because it was too hard to see me in that much pain - but we'll see! :)
We've been home for a week now. It seems pretty surreal, like she isn't ours, like we're babysitting or something. And while being a first time mom hasn't been the easiest thing - I love it. She is the most amazing baby ever! She never cries - like really - she's cried once! She nurses great (although it nearly kills me). And she even sleeps for 4-5 hours at a time sometimes. She has BLONDE hair and very long toes. :) We don't think she looks like me or Matson, with the exception of her mouth - TOTALLY Matsons! Matson has been the best Dad. He always offers to wake up with me and takes her right when he gets home from work. It's a lot of adjusting but sooooo amazing to have her sweet spirit in our home. We couldn't be happier!
Thanks to all our friends and family who've helped SO MUCH. We can't thank you enough for your service. I'm so excited for this new chapter in our lives. We are so blessed!

17 comments:

Rasmussen Family said...

She is sooo pretty! Afton! I am so proud of you working so hard to be strong and do what's best for the baby! That's pretty scary to have the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck so many times! Congratulations :) You're awesome

Valerie Housley said...

Yea!!!!! You're a momma! She is precious! It's amazing what we go through to get those bundles of joy, huh?! I feel your pain about not wanting an epidural....then getting one; and not wanting a c-section...then getting one. Gotta do what you gotta do....I am glad that all is well and you are home. I remember looking back with Isaac and thinking the first two weeks were definitely the most "adjustment" period, but then it got easier and it's amazing how natural it then becomes. I am going to come see you next week...whether you want me to or not! :) Come on, you're like a sister to me, I have to meet my new niece! :) Love you! Congrats to you and Matson and your families!

Britta said...

Congrats!!! I am so proud of you! Your a new mommy, it is the best feeling in the world. You can never tell how labor is going to go, but it sounds like you did AMAZING. She is so precious, enjoy her while she is a newborn. Give her kisses for me!

Todd and Rikki Smith said...

What a beautiful baby! Congrats! Motherhood is the best especially when you have a good man by your side!! I am glad she is doing ok. HOw scary for you but she looks like she is doing amazing!! Great job!! Its crazy how instant you just love that little baby! I love the name you chose! Shes beautiful!!

Anne said...

Afton, she is beautiful! I'm glad to hear that everything ended okay. Congratulations, mommy!

Angie said...

Congrats! I'm kinda jealous. I still have 9 days to go and I'm so impatient! It's got to be a great feeling to be able to finally hold the little one in your arms instead of just in your belly! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's a good reminder for me to be open-minded for anything and that things probably won't go as planned. That's gotta be hard. I have things all planned out in my head, but chances are it'll be completely different. I sooo don't want a c-section either! But I guess I would want a healthy baby more than I wouldn't want a c-section.

You're going to be a great mom! And I love the name Taylee - super cute!

Darren & Katie Britt said...

CONGRATS!! What a sweet baby girl! :)

Lily Eggleston said...

Wow Afton. I am so glad I was able to read this, because I could hear your voice dictating it to me in my head. Especially the part where you told the doctor that you are a great pusher, which we all know is true.
I love all THREE of you.

Melani said...

Finally! I get to see pics of my niece! She gorgeous! She has the biggest eyes! Uggh, I want to hold her! Afton, count your blessings! That's insane that you already get to sleep that much. I'm shocked! She sounds like the perfect baby. Way to go you two. We miss you like crazy! Love you!

DaNae said...

Congrats! She is so cute and tiny. You will just be the best mom ever!

Unknown said...

Yay! Congrats from the Spencer fam. It does take a lot of adjustment but you can do it!! It does get easier. PS try gel pads from target for nursing....so nice.....OH MY GOSH WE JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE!! Wow. Wierd. Just a little shake. California...Gotta love it!

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Wow, that's one crazy story! Way to be a trooper and try to stick it out! That had to be so hard to finally have a c-section and then not see your new baby for 4 hours! Crazy. Thank goodness nursing only hurts for the first little bit. Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

What a crazy birth Story! Congratulations! You will be a great Mom and I know that matson will be the best dad! YAY for you both!

Heather said...

Matson and Afton--It was great seeing you on Monday at Grandpa's party and Taylee is absolutely adorable. Afton, I am so glad I finally got to meet you and you looked great for just having a baby. So excited for the both of you and your new little daughter--enjoy!

BECKY said...

Oh my gosh I had no idea your delivery was that scary or complicated... I'm so glad things went well and that she's here and safe. Her middle name is awesome. :) Keep posting pics! CONGRATS AGAIN!!!

Callie said...

Matson, Congratulations! I found your sight from Shannons, so I hope you don't mind me sending best wishes to the both of you. Sounds like she gave you a little trouble, but I'm glad she's got hear alright. One of mine was a last minute C-section, so I know the anxiety that comes with that...and with one that had. the cord wrapped around the neck. My first had that, and it was my worst nightmare. But she's absolutely beautiful. I'm happy for you both, and hope you enjoy your new little one and all the new experiences you'll have together. Love, Callie

Bryce and Marcia said...

Hey Afton, I found your blog through Melinda's.
I read your experience having the baby and I'm glad everything went well. Congratulations! Taylee is adorable!
Lucas had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck too and he was blue when he was born. Scary!
But anyways, I hope you don't mind but I added your blog to my list of links.